WHY IN THE NEWS?
Recently, the Ministry of Power notified the National Hydrogen Policy on Green Hydrogen/ Green Ammonia Policy. On India’s 75th Independence Day, the Hon’ble Prime Minister launched the National Hydrogen Mission. The Mission aims to aid the government in meeting its climate targets and making India a green hydrogen hub.
- Hydrogen is an efficient energy
- Hydrogen is the most abundant element and the cleaner alternative
- At room temperature, hydrogen is colorless, tasteless, odorless, non-toxic, and highly flammable gaseous substance.
- It is very difficult to harness hydrogen since it weighs very
- The energy density of Hydrogen is very high compared to gasoline and diesel i.e., two to three times of extra
- 1kg of Hydrogen is equivalent to 5 L of petrol.
- Hydrogen is an emission-free
- Hydrogen gas can be used in the generation of Ammonium (NH3). The produced ammonium has wider applications and can be used in refineries, steel industries, chemical industries, fertilizers,
- Present-day extraction of Hydrogen and Ammonium completely results in high emissions as they are extracted from crude oils; thus, it is high time to generate hydrogen in a green way without
- Present practice of ammonia generation is polluting the
- The produced hydrogen can be stored by converting to the Ammonium form and can be reconverted when there is a need to use it. It is because presently the liquefied Hydrogen gas has to be stored under -253
- Moreover, solar energy and other energy sources available is not always reliable, thus it is not possible to rely entirely on
Green hydrogen is generated by breaking down water in an electrolyzer, i.e., an energy-intensive process for splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen by using renewable power.
The electrolysis is conducted in a special chamber and segregates Hydrogen ions from Water.
TYPES OF HYDROGEN
- Blue Hydrogen – Hydrogen is produced by using natural gas and fossil However, the emissions are sequestrated and stored.
- Gray Hydrogen – Hydrogen is produced by using natural gas but without carbon
- Black Hydrogen – Black hydrogen is created through burning coal or It is the least environmentally friendly hydrogen produced.
- Pink Hydrogen – Pink hydrogen is generated through electrolysis powered by nuclea
IS THE GREEN HYDROGEN PROCESS SIMPLE?
- Present system of producing 1kg of Ammonium generates 2 kg of carbon
- However, generating green hydrogen can eliminate the emissions, but there are high costs involved in the generation of electricity through renewable
- It is highly needed to make the system more efficient to reduce the cost of renewable
- It can be possible when solar energy gets revolutionized and bringing technological innovations in designing the chamber so that efficiency can be
NATIONAL HYDROGEN POLICY 2021
- Green Hydrogen / Ammonia manufacturers may purchase renewable power from the power exchange or set up renewable energy capacity themselves or through any other, developer,
- The Green Hydrogen / Ammonia manufacturer can bank his unconsumed renewable power, up to 30 days, with the distribution company and take it back when
- The distribution licensees can also procure and supply Renewable Energy to the manufacturers of Green Hydrogen / Green Ammonia in their States at concessional prices which will only include the cost of procurement, wheeling charges, and a small margin as determined by the State
- Waiver of inter-state transmission charges for a period of 25 years will be allowed to the manufacturers of Green Hydrogen and Green Ammonia for the projects commissioned before 30th June
- The benefit of Renewable Purchase Obligation (RPO) will be granted incentive to the hydrogen/Ammonia manufacturer and the Distribution licensee for consumption of renewable
SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS POLICY
- Reduce dependence on fossil fuels- The policy will reduce dependence on fossil fuels and also reduce crude oil
- Environmental protection – This green hydrogen will provide clean fuel to the common people of the With no toxic emissions, this policy has the power to revolutionize the energy sector.
- Financial security- This move can favor the balance of payment and reduce the Current Account It helps the country to reduce its oil imports and thereby improve the foreign exchequer.
- Energy security- Diversification of energy by focusing on sustainable renewable energy
- Greener jobs – It raises employment opportunities for the vast section of
- Abiding international laws – This policy promotes Renewable Energy (RE) generation as RE will be the basic ingredient in making green This in turn will help in meeting the international commitments under COP26, UNFCCC- net-zero carbon emissions by 2070 and 50 percent of its energy requirements from renewable energy by 2030.
- Incentivisation- The government has to consider providing additional concessional finance to the discoms and renewable energy generators to produce green
- Demand creation- Measures to be devised to stimulate the demand and ensure behavioral changes to percolate the use of green hydrogen.
- Technological innovations- better investment in technological developments to design chambers with minimal cost.
National hydrogen policy will help in meeting the target of production of 5 million tonnes of green hydrogen by 2030 and the related development of renewable energy capacity. It is high time to invest more in research and development in terms of bringing efficiency, storage and transportation, and demand creation. The current move will help India to achieve SDG 7: Affordable and clean energy and ensure sustainable and modern energy for all.
What do you understand by Green Hydrogen? Discuss the various measures announced under Green Hydrogen Policy by government to promote it. (150 Words, 10 Marks)